11 April 2010

The best friends

I've been reflecting lately on friendships.  I've lost some, gained some and learned to treasure some.

North of Toronto, we have some dear friends who live in a lovely house by the lake.  Last year, we started our road trip at their house and it was perfect!  These friends are the kind who will drive for an hour just to have dinner, and that is what we did on Good Friday.  We chose the restaurant by choosing a location of the city that was midpoint for both of us.  None of us knew any more than the internet told us.  Also, it wasn't our first choice, but it turned out so well.

The restaurant is a surprising little cafe sandwiched between two service stations, and sorely lacking parking.  But our hostess was so charming and accommodating and the evening was a delight.  My friend, who represents all the best in French style, sophistication and class chatted in French, and I even practiced a wee little bit.   We had the best time--one of those great, tuck in the treasure chest of memories times.

While the food certainly helped, I think that our evening was so delightful because of our company.  What a joy it is to spend time with another couple who is truly happy.  We don't see each other more than once or twice a year, but when the opportunity comes close, we do our best to take advantage of it.  Our husbands like each other.  We tease, we laugh, we tell stories, we laugh some more.   We value the time that we get to share together.

She taught me how to do that, to treasure moments.   It often surprises me that our news and our stories can fit into whatever time we have.    I know that I can call her in a time of crisis and she will be there for me.  I hope she knows that I would do the same for her.  She sang at my wedding, and I sang at hers.  We have known each other since singing together in college, oh so many years ago.   Her parents have become my Quebecois parents.  We share in each other's successes and triumphs, and we pray for each other's struggles and difficulties.  We trust each other enough to share our defining moments.

Eleanor Roosevelt once said "Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart".   She must have had a friend like mine.

4 comments:

Judy said...

I found your blog! :-)

It was wonderful to recently have some time with you!

You are a treasure Crystal, and I'm so glad we are friends!

darien said...

Hey, I am glad you found me! I was just adding to it when your note came in, so you missed the latest update. And blogger isn't letting me load the pictures. But, oh well, I'll try again tomorrow. It was lovely to see you, a definite treasure! Thanks for coming.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I need to go on your blog more often! I love our friendship!

Joelle said...

OK, let's try this again. That previous comment was from me, not Andrew!